Habits and beliefs are merely patterns. These patterns become ingrained in our subconscious mind before the age of seven. So much about the things that we do, what we think, and how we behave are driven by these patterns. Mindfulness is a tool that helps bring our own awareness to how we are being in our life. It also teaches us to do this with great kindness, compassion, and non-judgement.
When we investigate our states and patterns of being, we have the opportunity to choose something else. Sometimes choosing alone is not enough to bring change; change requires action. It is the action that helps to create new patterns in the mind and the body.
One way to begin to “prime” your mind and body to actually take an action that is different than your typical pattern is to use this breathing practice we refer to as Bunny Breath. I assure you, this practice is a different way to breathe than your typical pattern. It is also quite energizing, so it may help give you the motivation boost to continue to take different actions to change your typical patterns.
Growth can only only happen when we develop new patterns – and I am all about helping you to grow your life for more joy, happiness, and peace.
Practice: Bunny Breath
1. Sitting or standing, scrunch up your nose as if you are a curious rabbit, sniffing around the garden.
2. Take in 3 quick breaths through your nose—“Sniff, sniff, sniff.”
3. Round your lips, and quickly exhale fully through your mouth to push out all the air.
4. Repeat 5–10 times to develop a consistent rhythm.
5. End this practice by having everyone take a deep breath in through the nose and out through the nose, 3 times.
6. Return to a soft, natural breath, in and out through the nose, as students take a moment to check in and notice how they feel.