The holidays are often a time for excessive parties and social gatherings. I remember as a child how overwhelming it was to be around so many people at one time, even if they were family. I come from a big extended family that always expected strong hugs, kisses, and time around the dining room table talking with relatives (some who were part of my daily life, and others who we only saw a few times each year).
I had a love/hate relationship with the holidays because of my introverted nature. (I am just really good at pretending to be an extrovert. How about you?)
I always like to lead with my heart and feel my way through most daily experiences, but there are times, like before big social gatherings, that I need to “armor up” in a way to boost my own confidence and energetic protection.
We can try to talk our way (or our children’s way) into feeling more confident in these situations. However, sometimes the subconscious mind will keep us so stuck in a pattern, that all the talking and convincing in the world will still leave us feeling scared, worried, and apprehensive.
Here is a way to shift the mind through the power of the body. Try this practice of warrior pose before you or your child enters a challenging situation. This could be a holiday party, beginning a difficult task, or meeting with new people.
This may seem a bit weird, however, it is all science-based. See if you can suspend your skepticism and just give it a try. You have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain.
I also want to wish you a very peaceful, joy-filled and loving end to 2022, however you celebrate this time of year.
1. Stand with your feet spread apart, a bit wider than your hips.
2. Imagine you are a Superhero Warrior for happiness and peace, using your power to spread goodness throughout the world. Your power makes wherever you go a better place to be.
3. Turn the toes of your right foot to the right. Leave your left foot facing forward.
4. Bend your right knee. Keep your left leg straight.
5. Extend your arms out to the sides so they are shoulder-height and parallel to the floor. Keep them long, straight, and strong with palms facing down.
6. Look out over the fingers of your right hand stretched in front of you. Keep your left arm strong, stretched out behind you in the other direction.
7. Take long, deep breaths in and out through your nose.
8. Hold the pose for 5 breaths. With each breath, recharge your superpower by breathing in the words, “I am,” and breathing out a positive character quality, such as focused, peaceful, strong, alert, or kind.
9. Take a deep breath in to return to Home Base.
10. Repeat the pose on the other side.